Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Jamaican jerk tempeh

I've owned "One-Dish Vegetarian Meals" by Robin Robertson for months now and have barely cracked it open.

And I finally figured out why: I don't like the fonts and the colors.

Of course, that is a stupid (and nerdy) reason for not using a cookbook, especially when I've heard nothing but praise for Robertson.

I finally gave one of the recipes a try, a Jamaican jerk tempeh stew that can be served over rice or couscous.

Jamaican jerk tempeh

The spices were amazing and completely different than the flavors that I usually bring to the table. I backed off on the hot spices a little bit, knowing that we would have leftovers sitting around for a while and the heat would likely increase. But that gave the cinnamon and allspice a chance to shine through, which I loved.

Plus, the dish was fast and easy -- a real winner.

Now I'm looking forward to trying another one-dish wonder.

No comments: