Monday, March 31, 2008

The thrilla of the grilla

I had a hankering for grilled veggies last night.

That, and I had a bunch of produce from the farmers market that was about to turn bad.

For the grilled cabbage, I removed the core from the head, then coated the entire thing in grapeseed oil, salt and pepper. For the filling, I sauteed some onions with a big hunk of Soyrizo, then added some spicy BBQ sauce. (I went zesty for the filling, but I bet it would still work well with any other flavor combination.)

Somehow I made just the right amount of filling to cabbage, which made me feel like the master of all cookery.

To grill, you need to balance the cabbage head on a ring made of foil, like you see here. I also added little dabs of Earth Balance on top, but they weren't necessary. (I thought they would give the outside a buttery flavor, and I was wrong.)

Pre-grilling

Depending on the size and weight of the cabbage, it can take up to an hour-and-a-half to cook. You know it's done when you can easily poke it with a skewer.

Here we see that my cabbage made friends with some potatoes, baby eggplant and zucchini. Later a baguette joined the party. (It was late when I grilled, so this weirdly-illuminated photo was taken on a dark patio.)

Veggies cooking

Turns out my little cabbage didn't require much cooking time at all, so I ended up with some dark leaves on the outside. Still tasted OK, though.

Grilled dinner

Now that grilling season is in full swing, I'm eyeing everything else in the kitchen. Lettuce and radicchio, you guys are next.