Monday, March 3, 2008

Almost-sick soup

When I was little, my mother always fed me Campbell's Chicken & Stars soup when I was feeling sick or sad, so it's no surprise that I associate that can of food with love and comfort.
Sick day soup

Today, I've been hot and flushed and am starting to get that vice-like pressure inside my head, so I know I'm about THIS close to getting sick. Of course, all I wanted was to curl up under blankets on the couch and sip on some Chicken and Stars.

But since chicken has yet to become a vegetable, that stuff is not vegan.

I needed a new plan.

I whipped up the only recipe that sounded appealing in my feverish state, the Chickpea Noodle Soup from Veganomicon. The broth is made salty and creamy from miso, and the chickpeas make it hearty and filling. I also tossed in some chard for extra vitamins.

Oh, and instead of the soba noodles I tossed in a couple handfuls of pasta stars.

Stars have more healing properties. Three out of four doctors agree.

1 comment:

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

That's my go-to allergy soup. I love the idea of making it w/ stars!