Sunday, March 2, 2008

'Lost' cake

We had a party for Jason's birthday, an occasion that called for a spectacular cake.

Except I don't really know where I could get vegan baked goods around here. So even though I'm not the most proficient baker, I figured I would give it a try myself.

For the cake, I doubled the basic chocolate cupcake recipe from "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World." The icing is the basic buttercream, also from VCTOTW. And because Jason is a fan of the TV show "Lost," I went with a plane crash/stranded on island theme.

Here's how the full cake turned out.

'Lost' cake

I know I left out some of the characters, but you get the idea.

Cast of 'Lost'

To give the ocean waves varying shades of blue, I used food color spraypaint. I did not even know such a thing existed until two days ago.

'Lost' cake

And here's what the whole thing looked like with blue stripey candles. Apparently they crashed in the ocean too.

With candles

Overall, I think it went over very well. Almost everybody at the party said something like, "I can't believe it's vegan!" or "You can't even tell it's vegan!"

I'm not sure what they were expecting -- twigs and tofu maybe? -- but I'm happy they liked it.

1 comment:

Tammy R said...

This is so awesome! Please don't ever delete this post; I'm going to use your pictures as ideas to make a groom's cake for my fiance. :o)