Sunday, March 9, 2008

Snausage balls

Snausage balls

I'm still undecided about these snausage balls.

I made them as party food for Jason's birthday. I don't even know why I decided to go for these, because I wasn't much of a sausage fan even when I was omni. I guess they just sounded like retro and fun party fare, like something you'd put out next to the mini franks and the cheese ball.

I whipped up a batch as a test run the night before the party.

"So what do you think?" I asked Jason as he gnawed on one of the soft, bready balls.

"I don't know."

"Are they terrible?"

"I don't know."

"Well, do you like them?"

"I don't know."

I was frustrated by his ambivalence, so I tried one for myself.

Hmmm. It was the exact same experience for me, too. They're not good. And they're not bad. They're just there. They should probably be called Apathy Balls.

Anyway, I didn't end up putting them out for the party. I was too afraid people would hate it and it would put them off vegan food forever.

So it's just been me -- eating balls all week. (Ahem. No jokes, please.)

The recipe came from Freckle Foot, a poster on the Post Punk Kitchen forums.

Try them and let me know what you think.

Veganized Sausage Balls

14-oz pkg Gimme Lean Sausage
2.5 C shredded Follow Your Heart Cheddar
3 C Bisquick dry mix
1 large pinch sage leaves
1 to 2 large pinches fennel seeds
2 large pinches crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 TB extra-virgin olive oil
2 small cloves grated or very finely minced garlic (I use a Microplane zester)
1/2 to 1 C nutritional yeast flakes (optional, but EXTREMELY recommended)

Preheat oven to 350. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or spray with nonstick spray.

Mix all ingredients together by hand, until everything is well-incorporated. Form into balls (my mix made about 3 dozen) and place on sheets about a half to one inch apart. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until bottoms are browned, and tops are beginning to brown. Best served warm.


Dipping sauce:

1/3 C vegan mayo
2 TB dijon mustard
1/2 Tb paprika
1 tsp chili powder

Mix together.

No comments: