Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Catching up from Easter weekend

This past weekend was overwhelmingly blah. A toilet leak turned into a much bigger issue, then the plumber crashed into Jason's car ... and that set a whole bunch of bad things into motion.

Thankfully, there was some good food along the way. That makes everything better, doesn't it?

First up, this latte from Buzz Coffee in Palm Desert. I don't have lattes very often, because the Starbucks soy variety tastes bitter unless I add a bunch of sugar.

This Buzz Coffee version was a whole different story -- it's made with almond milk (richer than soy and easier on the tummy) and sweetened with agave nectar. And it's 100 percent delicious.

Almond milk latte

After hitting up the Palm Springs farmers market on Saturday morning, we were both grumpy enough to deserve some cheery heart-shaped pancakes. I don't make pancakes very often, so I just played this by ear -- I just stirred a bunch of stuff together until the batter looked right, then I added dried cranberries and fresh blood orange juice and zest. Fabulous.

Heart pancakes

Next comes lunch.

We are a household of brussels sprouts lovers, but I realized we ALWAYS eat them roasted. No more. Sauteeing gives the veggies much brighter flavors and is so much faster.

This recipe came out of "Williams-Sonoma Eating By Color," which is not a vegan cookbook, but it does have a lot of easy recipes for cooking produce in new ways.

To make it, thinly slice a bunch of brussels sprouts and saute until bright green. (I added a tiny bit of garlic for good measure.) Add a generous splash of veggie broth and cook for another minute. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper and some capers.

Brussel sprout salad

I served it with Gardenburger riblets, because riblets are saucy and good.

Riblet and brussels

And finally, Jason knew I was sad because I can no longer eat Peeps, my favorite weird Easter candy. Unfortunately, Peeps contain gelatin. (Sad but true, kids: Gelatin comes from boiling cow bones, pork skin and/or fish bones.)

So that's why I was so happy to end up with these in my Easter basket ...

Vegan Peeps

Vegan because they're plush!

No comments: