Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dinosaur fruit

Does everyone else out there love the cherimoya?

I do. Mostly because they look like dinosaurs, if dinosaurs were made out of fruit.

Cherimoyas

When I lived in Cincinnati, I could only find them in the grocery store when they ran Cinco de Mayo sales. So, naturally, I figured that when I moved to Southern California it would be cherimoyas as far as the eye could see.

I was wrong. It's been almost three years now, and my first cherimoya sighting was last weekend at the Palm Springs farmers market. I immediately snatched up three of the biggest ones.

I don't do anything fancy with them. I prefer to just slice the fruit in half and eat it with a spoon. It tastes like bananas, pears and mangos all in one creamy, smooth bite -- so doing anything else with the cherimoya would be a waste of the delicate, tropical flavor.

What can I say? I'm a simple girl with simple fruit needs.

No comments: